Translate

Tuesday 28 October 2014

Justification of Idea Presentation

Initial Ideas.


Idea 1- Magazine- (The National Geographic Style) Abu Dhabi wildlife.

The target audience of this idea would be an older audience that enjoys wildlife watching and nature magazines. This is because I believe that it will be more successful, however, I would have to research this and find evidence to support it. The content of the magazine will have aspects of wildlife throughout Abu Dhabi, such as emirates park zoo, Sir Bani Yas and a bird watching sanctuary. This is because I want a wide range of animals and information to entertain and inform my audience. To widen my target market I will be focusing on my photography skills with only a small amount of information. The layout of the magazine will be the front cover of a single image, with potential article headings, including the main article. I will include a double page spread which will be the main article with one or two single pages with other articles. This magazine idea with be heavily based on the national geographic magazine, because of the success that it has gained. I also would like to experiment with animal photography.

Idea 2- Documentary A day in the life of a coral reef.

The target audience for this idea is people who enjoy or are interested in scuba diving, snorkeling and underwater wildlife; or programs which are similar. The storyline for the documentary would be a simple swim through with a voice over of information on the different species and plant life. The documentary would be sped up to accommodate day and night life of the corals, with the possibility of have the bio-luminescence of the corals at night. This idea is very much based on the style of the David Attenborough/BBC oceans documentaries. The layout of the documentary would begin with the start of the day through to the end (24hour period). This documentary could be played on nature channels, information centers,dive resorts or hotels. Idea 3- Newspaper supplement. Holiday and dive destination reviews. The target audience for this idea is people that would read newspapers such as The Sun or The Times as these have relaxed topics. My target audience would be families or couples that are looking for cheap bargain holidays or just nice travel destinations. The content of this magazine would be hotels that have offers but also have a dive center or resort attached to them or one nearby, where hotel guest could have special offers or discounts. Each of the hotels that are featured would be of a particular theme such as family holidays in the sun or romantic getaways. The layout would include a couple of establishing shots of the facilities of both the hotel and dive center, with a review and a comparison section. This would relatively short with 2 double page spreads and a few single pages plus the front cover.
Idea 3- Newspaper supplement. Holiday and dive destination reviews.

The target audience for this idea is people that would read newspapers such as The Sun or The Times as these have relaxed topics. My target audience would be families or couples that are looking for cheap bargain holidays or just nice travel destinations. The content of this magazine would be hotels that have offers but also have a dive center or resort attached to them or one nearby, where hotel guest could have special offers or discounts. Each of the hotels that are featured would be of a particular theme such as family holidays in the sun or romantic getaways. The layout would include a couple of establishing shots of the facilities of both the hotel and dive center, with a review and a comparison section. This would relatively short with 2 double page spreads and a few single pages plus the front cover.

Idea 4- Music video/documentary.

The target audience for this idea will be secondary school student, mainly GCSE and A-level students, which are interested in music, film making or bands. The storyline for this would be an original songs performed by a chosen band with an interview of the band members. The interview side of the documentary will a mixture of fan questions and informative questions about how life is like being in a band and trying to set up a band. The layout of this idea would be into parts first the music video filmed and edited then have the interview with the band members, and the in the back ground have the some of the songs playing. Eventually this could be a series going from school to school interviewing and filming videos of school formed bands.

Idea 5- Internet series/film. Educational Internet series

The target audience for this idea would be young children in either reception or foundation stage 1&2 and the teachers that look after these year groups. The content of the film would be life in the early years of primary school and how to survive. The mini lessons that the children could watch and learn about topics such as shapes, numbers and the alphabet, sharing and caring, manners, and the rules of a classroom. The layout of this idea would roughly 10-15mins long, with bright colours and simple language. This film idea has the opportunity of becoming a regular show that the children watch at the beginning of a lesson and would coincide with the curriculum.

Product.

I am going to be producing a wildlife magazine called ‘Abu Dhabi Wildlife’ it would be aimed at the older generation of people living, retiring or visiting Abu Dhabi. The primary target audience ranges from 40-75+, with both a male and female audience. It would also have the possibility for a younger audience.

My Magazine idea will be different from the traditional wildlife or nature magazine as, I will include extras such as photography tips and reviews of wildlife sanctuaries. To make sure I can reach a wider secondary audience.

I will include, photography elements, interviews with staff, events, informative tips and suggestions.

I will focus the magazine around land animals in zoo's and nature reserves, with a small underwater element. This way I can try to please as many people as possible.

 I will charge around £3.50 for my magazine as primary research has shown me what people are willing to pay for a magazine. I will also make money from advertisements, this way I will be able to cover my production costs.

Target Market Profile.

My Primary target audience would be the retired or the elderly of Abu Dhabi.

However, there is a secondary target audience which would be the photography or nature enthusiast.

They would be the type of person would take nature walks, visit the zoo with younger family members, interested in the planet and it a photographer of sorts.

They would enjoy nature watching and learning about the animals. They would also have a interest or passion about go green and helping the environment campaigns.
 
They would enjoy taking part in clean ups and would be interested in when the next one would be. 

The audience want to know information about there favourite animals and how they are being treated. So would be interested in interviews with the zoo and sanctuary staff.


The Competition.

My Competition for this idea is both direct and indirect this is because I will be mixing several genres in to one magazine.

The direct competitors are Wildlife or Nature Magazine as this will be the main theme of my idea.

 The Wildlife or nature magazines I will be competing with are National Wildlife magazine which is related to the National Wildlife Federation which is based in America and Wildlife magazine,which a BBC magazine. There is also the possibility of the competition is also Nature Photographer.


Nature photographer is the main competitor as it is not limited to one country and the photographs that are featured are from all over the world. It focuses on animals,landscapes, plants, scenes and underwater elements. This could be a problem for me as my idea only focuses on animal photography. As well as a magazine it also has a blog and website when it showcasing the photos. Nature photographer magazine is more expensive then my proposed idea this works in my favour as I will be offering more then just photos and how to take them.



Photography magazines that offer tips and suggestions are also a form competition for this idea as I am hoping to include photography tips and where to purchase cameras, lens and gadgets, in the UAE. I am also hoping to include dates and venues of go green and helping the environment campaigns.



Funding.

The funding for my idea will have to come from a bank loan. This is because it will cover transport fees, printing and distribution costs. I have looked into the following banks for loans and what interest rates they have:

Barclay's: (Personal Loan) They have a representative APR is 5.9% on loans of £7,500 to £15,000 for terms between 2 and 5 years. Get the same rate no matter what you’re borrowing for. Price guarantee: if you find a like-for-like loan with lower monthly repayments, we'll match it and give you £50.

Nationwide:(Personal Loan) Just 4.2% APR representative (fixed) on loans from £7,500 to £14,999 for up to 5 years for our main current account customers. Borrow between £1,000 to £25,000 over 1-7 years. They won't charge you any fees for setting up your Personal Loan.


HSBC: (Personal Loan) Their customers can receive a representative of3.9% APR for Personal Loans between £7,000 and £15,000.

Lloyd's: (Personal Loan) Their Flexible Loan covers a wide range of borrowing options - £1,000 to £25,000, with 1-7 years to repay. The Personal loan includes: Instant money in your account, A personalised quote with no credit footprint, Great flexibility, with the option to overpay or even take a loan repayment holiday, View your balance in Internet Banking, No charge to pay off your loan early. Their loans are available to Lloyd's Bank current account holders who have had their account for more than 3 months.

Nat West: (Personal Loan) The Example of a personal Bank loan is that you can borrow £7,500.00 over 5 years with the representative  4.9% APR. The interest rate is fixed at 4.90% pa. It will cost £140.81 per month and the total amount payable is £8,448.60


Will it Succeed.


 I believe my magazine idea will succeed as it combines, nature, wildlife, photography and reviews into one magazine, which therefore fulfils a gap in the UAE market as well as worldwide.

To my knowledge there is no magazine that mixes all of the codes and conventions of all the topics into one magazine.

During the research stage in to my idea, I decided to market my idea in the middle of all my competitor's magazines. This meant that I came to the conclusion that my magazine will be priced at £3.50 (20aed). As I have decided to price my idea in the middle of the existing market I can see if the more neutral price attracts an audience. The first year of sales will be able to tell me if this is successful.


As my product isn't as expensive as some of the top rival magazines, it will make it more appealing to people who are on a pension or don't have a lot of money coming in each week/month.

If my idea isn't successful, there is room for an expansion in to other natural elements, and can be modified into a travel nature magazine. this means that it could feature wildlife in different countries, in different editions.
 

Creative Plan.

For my photographs throughout the magazine I will hopefully using a mixture of black and white and colour pictures; where appropriate. This is because they both look effective and the black and white photos make scenes look dramatic. The contrast of a black and white photos on a coloured background, will give my magazine a edgy look, which will hopefully attract readers to it as it going against the codes and conventions of a wildlife/nature magazine. 

The front cover of my magazine will follow the codes and conventions of most wildlife magazines and have one photograph that covers the whole page, and the colour scheme will reflect the colours of the animal(s) used.

Also on the front cover there will be relatively little writing as I have found out from my research that it is the animal itself that attracts the reader not loads of writing. I also want to show off my photography skills and not have the photo covered in writing.

Technology.

For all of my pictures throughout the magazine I will be using my Nikon DSLR camera for several reasons, such as my pictures will come out looking professional and off a good quality, I have lots of experience using it and have researched into different exposures and lighting.

During the editing process on Adobe Photoshop, my pictures will be cropped to make sure they fit on the page and to cut out any unnecessary background and to make sure that the audience focuses on the model or animal.

I will also edit my photos slightly, in order to make them professional, clearer and brighter. However, I won't be using Photoshop to make my picture unrealistic and aspiration, as I want to be true and honest to my target audience. I also want my audience to be able to take the same pictures that I do. 

Time scale.

Before Production:

*Plan Theme, Layout, and articles.

*Book Interviews with relevant people.

*Create Production Plan.

Week 1: 

* Magazine will be planed, Topics of the articles, rough layout and delegate roles. 

Week 2:

* Interview Planning and Photo Shoot Planning. Then Interviews and Photo shoots. 

Week 3:

* Interviews and Photo shoot.

Week 4: 

*Editing of photos and start composing the front cover.

Week 5: 

* Write up articles and interview sections then proof read.

Week 6: 

* Finalise front cover. finish writing articles and interview sections. Proof read!

Week 7: 

* Put magazine together.

Week 8:

*Send Magazine to printers then to distributors.

Week 9:

* Send finish magazines to the shops to be shelved. 





















No comments:

Post a Comment